Sunday, September 26, 2010

Setting that I use for Ambient occlusion and Ink n paint

Even though no one ask me for this, I hope i can help someone who want to achieve the same ink n paint + AO render as mine.

Below is the setting I use for the AO (click to enlarge) :

Below is the setting I use for 'Ink n Paint' material :

Tips for mental ray users : If you want to assign all object to the same material, use 'material override' in Mental ray render setup -> Processing -> material override and drag to the button.

Hope that helps! thanks for your visit

Friday, September 24, 2010

Proton Saga 3D modeling in 2D Rendering

Salam and hi everyone.

This is actually a continuation of earlier project, the saga first edition. At first the model are rendered out as ink and paint render, which is similar to lineart drawing. Then I render out ambient occlusion (AO) pass seperately.

Using wacom tablet, I painted in the color in photoshop. Then i combined the ink n paint pass together with AO pass on top of the color layer. both layer were set to Multiply in blend mode, with additional opacity reduction for the AO pass.

The background for the car was created earlier before the car project started. It is actually a small workshop scenery, which I find it suitable to show off the car engine. haha.

thank you for your visit~
p/s : To keep my blog a lil bit fresh, I changed to newer template. Its much easier to the eyes now haha.

p/s 2 : more about Ambient Occlusion can be read here :

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Project - Proton Saga First Edition

Greetings everyone.

While everyone getting hyped  by the new proton Lancer thats just around the corner, why no we sat back and enjoy the first product of proton, the Proton Saga First Edition. Hahaha.

If you love 3d model render, you will notice that many times you can only see the car exterior body. So I try to be unique here,  I try to focus on the engine bay of the car. 
The car is powered by 4 piston, 8 valve 1.3cc engine by mitsubishi. The engine is extremely reliable and have a very low cost of maintenance. The fuel system is powered by old school Aisan Twin Barrel Twin Butterfly Carburettor.

Aisan Twin Barrel Twin Butterfly Carburettor

I render the models on 2 passes, one using Ink and Paint material, and another using Ambient Occlusion Pass.

Thats all for the entry. Thanks for your visit.

Failed Project explained...

Regarding my last project, the proton Exora MPV, there is a problem which lead to the halt of the project. It is about all its glass windows, including the front windshield.

From the picture above, you can see that the window is not smooth. It looks like a piece of soft plastic or wrapping paper..

After trying to fix the problem several times, it seems that the problem lies in my modeling technique, where I modeled the chassis and window seperately, as pictured above.

The problem requires a major modification on the polygons, thus I decided to put this model onto halt.

I however managed to prove my theory on my next 3D models. Below is the new model :
I model the chassis together with the windows and windshield. The polygons of the windows were only detached after the modeling of the required parts is complete. For example, I modeled the door altogether with the windows in 1 piece. Once I complete the door, I then select the polygon which makes the windows, then press the 'detach' button, to seperate the window from the door.

Although I didnt manage to complete the model, I've learn a valuable lesson. Hopefully I'll be able to do better models soon.